Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Tears and Laughter

John's graduation from the Virginia State Police academy is this Friday!! Excitement is in the air at the Woodward house. We have several families coming from Rochester, NY - John's two brothers and a high school friend. We have so much cleaning and shopping to do. John and I were talking about plans for the party afterward. I am already starting to get emotional. For those of you who do not know me in real life, I cry easily and frequently. I cry on both joyful and sorrowful occasions. And I just can't help it. I have read romance books where a woman bites her lip to keep herself from crying. It just doesn't work for me. When the tears want to come, they do and I can't stop them. Emotional occasions such as the one coming up on Friday are the perfect opportunity too. It reminds me of my wedding day. A day when I was sure it would be Niagara Falls. But something else happened. I was up on stage in front of everyone, facing John, when something struck me as funny. I don't know what. Perhaps it was just nerves. But I started laughing. It wasn't an out loud guffaw as seen on you tube of late. But I was afraid it would end up like that. I couldn't even look at John. I looked over his shoulder and said my vows while trying not to bust out laughing. I actually pulled a muscle in my side in my attempt to hold the laughter in. I tried to think of something sad but couldn't'. Then I looked at my older brother and he had a tear coming down his cheek. Awww!! His love and care for me did the trick and I was able to make it through the rest of the ceremony. But what will I do on Friday? I am not ashamed to allow a few tears of joy to run down my face. But I don't want to be there boo-hooing buckets either. And I certainly don't want to laugh! I think I need to watch a really sad movie and get all the tears out of my system. Meanwhile, I think I'll get a good night's sleep. Any suggestions for a good tear jerker?

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations to John. What a great accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. I am so happy for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! And what a sweet blog! :)

    Blessings- Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hee-hee.. I smiled at your wedding confession!
    Sooooo, how did it go?!

    ReplyDelete