Friday, August 21, 2009

Welcome to the Woodward Hospital

Wednesday was the dreaded wisdom teeth removal day. It was scheduled for 2 PM. John took the day off. I had forgotten to tell Hannah to take the day off as well so that she could stay home with Holly. I suppose that I could have stayed home and let John take Gabriel but I felt like I needed to be there and sit in the waiting room. Don't ask why, that's just the way I am. That hour went by rather quickly as Holly and I watched HGTV. Then we went back to where Gabriel was in recovery. They told us to try and wake him up. Well, little did they know that when Gabriel is asleep, he is ASLEEP. Even a tornado wouldn't wake him up. (That happened once but that's a story for another day.) So there he was sedated and they expected us to awaken him. Right. We did eventually get him awake enough to walk out to the car.

He woke up Wednesday around 6 PM and except for a bit of pain seemed to his normal self - cracking jokes (with gauze still in his mouth), getting too easily irritated at Holly, and asking for food. We had decided that John would stay home with Gabriel while the girls and I went to church. John is a much better nurse than I am, at least when it comes to the gross stuff. We were getting ready to go when Holly twisted her ankle. She was wearing a pair of shoes that someone had given her- kind of a platform shoe I guess. So she stayed home with John and Gabriel and kept ice on it. The swelling has gone down some and now it's a nice shade of blue. She's hobbling around OK so I'm guessing it's not broken. There would be much more pain with that.

Gabriel hasn't had any difficulty. A little pain. The pain medicine makes him a bit dizzy but he's up and about - He's watched movies, we've played Risk, and he's always asking what can he eat. (Soft foods just can't fill up a teen age boy). We are approaching the 48 hour mark and he doesn't seem to have a lot of swelling or bruising. He is very impatient with the healing process. While he loves movies and video games, he's no couch potato and he's ready to get back to his normal life.

During all of this, Hannah has also had a busy schedule with work and a movie night at a friend's house. That leaves me without all my household helpers. I feel like I've got toddlers again - feed them, clean up after them, entertain them . . . and I'm doing all the housework. I am ready to get back to our "normal" life too!


  1. Glad to hear everyone is healing well! My wisdom teeth weren't too bad either, but some people sure do get hit hard with that. It's a blessing he's healing quickly.

  2. Hope everyone is feeling better after the weekend! Having wisdom teeth pulled is not fun, nor is a twisted ankle. I am just getting caught up on some of my blog reading. I have been gone too long- didn't know you had a new name, etc. Your blog looks lovely!

  3. I'm glad to hear the wisdom teeth removal went so smoothly. It's a blessing not to have any complications.